Saturday, October 9, 2010

Helpful Spaghetti

Tonight, I'll be going to a benefit spaghetti dinner for Jerome's boss. A couple months ago, he was out at his pool and dove in, hitting his head/neck. He was paralyzed from the neck down and told there was a very slim chance he would be able to feel or move anything, neck down to toes. He went through surgery a couple weeks after, I'm assuming to his spine, but they still said, they're not sure if it will definitely work.
After going through the surgery and lots of rehabilitation, he was able to feel his fingers and toes, slowly being able to move them, as well. Jerome went to visit him at the rehabilitation center in Atown on his day off and I know it meant a lot to both Jerome and his boss that he had taken the time to visit. From what I hear, his boss is a great guy and I know we're both happy to be able to help him out with this dinner tonight.
What I feel the moral of the story here is that you never know how your life can change in a split second. Something like a jump in a pool can completely alter your life and everything you've known. He is married and just trying to put myself in his wife's shoes seems impossible. I'm happy to be able to meet her tonight, you have to be a very strong person to be able to keep your head up through something like this. At the same time, I'm happy to be meeting him, too. He has to re-learn how to write, walk, etc. and I can't imagine how that must be.
It makes you think about how you can take life for granted and I don't want to do that. I've been able to see the best in things, I get out more, even if it is just a walk or run in the woods.
Live, Laugh, Love...right? Yep, this whole post is a big cliche but for real...it's something you need to think of and you don't want it to be too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment